Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Dalton video
Topic Started: Aug 8 2011, 11:43 PM (7,226 Views)
1stimestar
Member Avatar
Because I can!
Here's a little video you may enjoy.
http://milepost.com/slideshows/rigs_on_the_road_dalton_highway/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SCANIA

I wouldn't mind moving to Alaska and drive on that road for a living.
Really nice looking place.

Keyz56
Member Avatar
IRT Board Administrator
SCANIA
Aug 9 2011, 05:32 AM
I wouldn't mind moving to Alaska and drive on that road for a living.
Really nice looking place.

Count me in too! I love the cold and snow. When I was younger, I lived near the ocean and loved the heat. As I got older, things turned....now I hate the heat. Give me cold and snow any day of the year! :wub:

SCANIA

I am a truck driver in Finland and we have the same kind of conditions over here.
Plenty of snow and very cold winters, but we dont have that beutiful landscape.

I cant stand the heat either, rather be wearing plenty of clothes in -30c then walking around in t-shirts and shorts in +30c.

Keyz56
Member Avatar
IRT Board Administrator
SCANIA
Aug 9 2011, 06:14 AM
I am a truck driver in Finland and we have the same kind of conditions over here.

I cant stand the heat either, rather be wearing plenty of clothes in -30c then walking around in t-shirts and shorts in +30c.
Finland sounds like a nice place. Someday I hope to visit. I'm in New Hampshire (USA), near Canada. I moved up here about 10 years ago from New York City. "WHAT A CHANGE"! haha

Deleted User
Deleted User

SCANIA
Aug 9 2011, 06:14 AM

When I was in Europe their trucks where a lot lower in power then the American Trucks. European truckers would have pictures of KWs and Petes on their cabs. I could out run their trucks in an old Army Tractor Trailer up hill!
Quote Post Goto Top

SCANIA

Scania's most powerful engine is 730bhp V8. (Strongest series manufactored engine in the world btw.)
Volvo's most powerful engine is 700bhp straight 6.
Most common engine hp is 420bhp but I see more and more 500hp on the roads.
The company I work for have mostly Scania R420 and R480 and a couple Volvos FH500.

BTW I have never seen anyone having a picture of an american truck in their cab.
When ever american trucks comes up during discussions with fellow truck drivers they just laugh at the american trucks and their stone age technology.

I love the looks of your trucks but for instance the gearbox is really out dated and I heard that when Volvo first started selling trucks in USA they had their own engines and gearboxes in them.
But the american truckers couldn't use the gearbox and they destroyed them in a few weeks time, so Volvo started to use Cummins engines and gearboxes or some other engine gearbox.

oldguy
Member Avatar
oldguy
1stimestar
Aug 8 2011, 11:43 PM
Thats a great video G. Man, oh so familiar. Thanks for sharing.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Okay I stand corrected on BHP.

I can however vouch for the pictures in the windows of European Trucks as I lived in Germany for 5 years.

Are you saying that American truck drivers are so stupid that they could not figure out a new gearbox? If it is that complicated then how is it an improvement? Cummins engines are more dependable and much cheaper to maintain then Volvo’s so they were forced to change them out if they wanted to sell trucks in the US. Did you know that Daimler uses Cummins in their trucks? Now why would the ever efficient Germans put an American Engine in their trucks? May be too much Stuttgarter Hofbrau one day?
Quote Post Goto Top

oldguy
Member Avatar
oldguy
Yes, Freightliner uses Mercedes in some of their models. We had 5 of them, gutless wonders that could'nt get out of their own way.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Talk About The Alaskan Ice Roads Here · Next Topic »
Add Reply