Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
So why aren't the Candians Using Better Off-Road Trucks On Their Ice Roads?
Topic Started: Dec 17 2014, 06:22 PM (2,761 Views)
RudolfDiesel

So, I watch this show on and off mostly when I have a case of insomnia-- but that is not the point of my post-- my point is I've been watching Season 8 on Amazon lately (this week as in Dec, 2014).... And I cannot figure out why anyone would drive a Mack CH, International Eagle (any other series truck), or Volvo on Ice Roads???? Why? First off these trucks are designed for on-road long hauling and are totally out of their league off road. I'm sure people will say they can do and do it--- sure you can do it. You can also drive a Porsche 911 off road and it will do it too. But you will pay 3-5 more times in repairs then you would with an off-road designed vehicle. After 1 or 2 seasons running hard off-road I cannot see how these beater on road trucks are not shot to hell? It seems to me that it would make much more sense to purchase a vehicle capable of doing off-road work in the first place. Sure, you're saying that it is only 3 months so why buy a +300k truck to operate on ice roads... I say the long term benefits would far out weight the initial costs.

But I want to know form some one who drives in Canada on these roads why don't use more specialized vehicles????
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Keyz56
Member Avatar
IRT Board Administrator
Good question RudolfDiesel. I drove a Mack dumper way back in the 70's and drove them locally. So there were no long hauls with them. But IMO, those trucks kicked ass! I loved those old B Macks! They never broke down no matter how much I had to beat the crap outta them. The only thing that broke were tiers. I used to go through tiers like crazy! Back then, in the 70's, the DOT didn't really care about how much you loaded up. (Weight) There were times I had so much in the back that it would be falling all over the road....and I hardly ever used a cover. That's the way the boss wanted it, that's the way most of the local dumpers drove around, and at my age, I didn't even know any better, or didn't care. I feel so different now.

"Welcome to the board"

RudolfDiesel

Keyz56
Dec 23 2014, 06:05 AM
Good question RudolfDiesel. I drove a Mack dumper way back in the 70's and drove them locally. So there were no long hauls with them. But IMO, those trucks kicked ass! I loved those old B Macks! They never broke down no matter how much I had to beat the crap outta them. The only thing that broke were tiers. I used to go through tiers like crazy! Back then, in the 70's, the DOT didn't really care about how much you loaded up. (Weight) There were times I had so much in the back that it would be falling all over the road....and I hardly ever used a cover. That's the way the boss wanted it, that's the way most of the local dumpers drove around, and at my age, I didn't even know any better, or didn't care. I feel so different now.

"Welcome to the board"
Every time I watch the show-- I see some poor guy in the ditch. Too me it seems senseless to spend 1-2 days in a ditch waiting for a person to help you to recover the truck. When if you purchased even an older International 5000 series Paystar with 6x6 and fitted the front axle with an Eaton Air-locker in conjunction with 2 rear air-lockers you would be so much better off in conditions like the ones faced off road. Also I would want to add more travel to my suspension so that when you hit big hole you're not maxing out the travel and damaging the suspension all the time. Personally, I've driven a few Kraz and Tatra trucks in my day-- and they would be far superior to the International Eagle or Volvo series trucks they are driving on the roads right now.

The old Mack B series are great. I had a B-81SX with a QuadBox and a Thermodyne 672 in it... Not the greatest horsepower or torque producing engine -- but hey with all those low gears and rear ends I think were 7.58:1 or higher the truck could pull a serious load. Sadly I had to sell it. Great fun truck for the collector. It was the truck I learned how to drive on actually. The first truck I really learned on was an old DC series Autocar with a 350 Cummins in it and a Quad-box tranny-- from the late 1970's. But after I got my CDL I purchased the B-81SX and that was the truck I used to drive around like a toy. The only big problem I found with the truck was the cab wasn't that comfortable really. I'm a short guy and I even felt the cab was cramped. Other then that it was really fun to drive. However, off-road-- I still wouldn't take it out in the bush like they are doing in Canada.

If I were buying a truck for the Canadian Ice Road Season the features I would want on it are the following.

All Wheel Drive
All Axles with Cross Axle Lockable Differentials
transfer Case with lockable differential
At least 300 gallons of fuel on board.
Single Tires Front and Rear.
CTIS...

A Fifth wheel hitch with greater articulation capabilities.

Basically I would have a rig set up like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztrgPO0wcgI

Sadly, it is in Russian-- but I think they are on to something with the way they set up their trucks for Siberia that would make sense in Canada as well.

Keyz56
Member Avatar
IRT Board Administrator
Oh yeah....those old B-61 dumpers were ass kickin'! I remember that cast iron double stick. I used to go through so many gears and only use the clutch to start off. Otherwise, I used to just roll those gears in. Fun times man!

RudolfDiesel

Keyz56
Dec 30 2014, 12:38 AM
Oh yeah....those old B-61 dumpers were ass kickin'! I remember that cast iron double stick. I used to go through so many gears and only use the clutch to start off. Otherwise, I used to just roll those gears in. Fun times man!
The B61's were cool... I've always loved the B81SX series myself.

But right now I'm looking to purchasing a Czech made Tatra 813 or 815 series 8x8 truck. I want to take to Alaska on a trip.

Keyz56
Member Avatar
IRT Board Administrator
RudolfDiesel
Jan 8 2015, 11:54 PM
I'm looking to purchasing a Czech made Tatra 813 or 815 series 8x8 truck. I want to take to Alaska on a trip.
I know your post is old, (Jan 8 2015), but did you ever go to Alaska?

I love that state. If you read this, how about some pictures?

ON EDIT: I just looked at the last time you logged in, Feb 11 2015, 10:52 AM. I guess no pictures!
:P

Deleted User
Deleted User

Can you email him?
Quote Post Goto Top

Keyz56
Member Avatar
IRT Board Administrator
king
Sep 16 2017, 10:32 PM
Can you email him?
I'll give it a shot.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Talk About The Canadian Ice Roads Here · Next Topic »
Add Reply